2 Feb 2013
A long time ago, I was at an excellent little restaurant in Fort Greene. The restaurant’s version of free table bread was smoked paprika crispy chickpeas. I was instantly obsessed, and swore I would try to figure out how they made them. So when perusing my new Smitten Kitchen cookbook, I noticed a recipe that includes crispy cumin chickpeas. I was so excited, and I figured this would be a good base recipe to help me replicate the delicious snacks. Smitten Kitchen’s recipe called for cumin, but I plan on making my next batch with smoked paprika, and then the next batch with chipotle pepper. Point is, you can literally spice it up! Feel free to try this recipe with whatever your favorite spices are.
With the Super Bowl coming up, this would be a great healthy addition to the super unhealthy spread. One that I think everyone would love. Just don’t tell them it’s healthy! Of course this is a great snack any time of the year, and you’ll be happy they are healthy when you can’t stop shoveling them into your mouth.
- 1 15.5 ounce can of cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Drain chickpeas and rinse under cold water. Lay the chickpeas out on a paper towel and pat dry. If you can’t get them dry, let them air dry for a little bit.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin until all the chickpeas are coated.
- Spread on baking sheet, and place baking sheet on middle shelf in the oven.
- Roast until the chickpeas are browned and crisp.